Winter Roasting – Chicken
Winter is here, and if there is one thing winter is good for it’s gathering around a hot BBQ!
Last week, we shared tips for cleaning your BBQ, and this week let’s get straight into cooking – and is there anything better than a delicious, tender roast chicken with just a touch of smokey flavour?
The go-to roast chicken recipe here at Heat Beads® HQ has got to be Beer Can Chicken – it is so easy and a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
Here are some tips to get you started:
– Set up the BBQ for indirect cooking, with a medium heat
– Soak a handful of hickory wood chips (available at hardware and BBQ retailers) in water for 30 mins. Throw the wood chips onto the coals right before you start cooking
– Grab a can of beer, and pour out around a quarter of the can
– Put a couple crushed cloves of garlic, and a pinch of paprika in the can, it adds extra flavour to your chicken!
– Give a whole free-range chicken (approx 1.7kg) some flavour with a BBQ rub, Bob Hart’s All-Purpose Rub is a great place to start
– Insert the beer can into the cavity of the chicken, using the two legs and the can as a tripod to keep it upright
– Place the chicken in an aluminium BBQ tray and put on the centre of the BBQ and put the lid on
– The wood chips should start smoking, and the beer boiling – the chicken is going to be so tender!
– Use a meat thermometer to gauge when the chicken is cooked (approx. 1-1.5 hours depending on the size of your chicken)
Enjoy your roast chicken, and we hope it brings some warmth to your winter!