Top 5 Camp Oven Cooking Tips
Camping’s a great way to get away from it all by clearing your mind in the wide open spaces of Australia’s great outdoors. Living in a tent or caravan is fantastic – the beach as your shower, the grass as your carpet, and a couple of friends for all the entertainment you need.
But there are some creature comforts that are too good to lose. We’re talking about hot meal at the end of the dayh, a a hearty delicious stew by the campfire, or some tangy fresh fish, cooked up as catch of the day, with the rolling waves still close enough to ring in your ears.
- Always be sure to season your camp oven before use. We recommend coating the inside of the oven with a light layer of olive or vegetable oil.
- As a general rule of thumb, use double the number of Heat Beads® BBQ Briquettes as the width of the camp oven (in inches). For example, for a 12 inch camp oven, use 24 briquettes, with 9 on the bottom and 15 on the top. This method will give the camp oven a temperature of around 180°C for 30-45 minutes.
- To avoid overheated “hot spots” on specific areas of the oven, rotate your camp oven every 10-15 minutes when you’re cooking.
- Be aware that certain weather conditions can affect the cooking times or heating efficiency of your camp oven. For example, direct sun or strong winds will raise the temperature of your oven, while humidity and shade will reduce it.
- With a couple of nifty techniques and some easy-to-find accessories, you can cook with your camp oven, even without a fire. Check out this great article by our campfire-cook extraordinaire, Derek Bullock.
That’s where a camp oven comes in handy. So be sure to take one with you next time you head out on another adventure, and remember these handy hints. And, if you really want to take your camp oven cooking to the next level, pick up some of the awesome camp oven solutions available from CampMaid.