Camp Oven Cooking Tips
- Make sure you season your camp oven before use with vegetable or olive oil.
- Heat Beads® briquettes are great for camp oven cooking as they distribute the heat evenly.
- Use double the number of briquettes as the width of the camp oven (in inches). For example, for a 12 inch camp oven use 24 briquettes, with 9 on the bottom and 15 on the top.
- This method will give the camp oven a temperature of around 180°C for 30-45 minutes.
- Heat Beads® Easy-Lite® is not recommended for camp ovens, as the number of briquettes used is too small to generate the necessary heat to fully alight the briquettes.
- Keep in mind that weather conditions can change the time taken to cook your food, direct sun or wind will raise the temperature of the camp oven, humidity and shade will reduce it.
- Preheat your camp oven before placing your food in it.
- To avoid ‘hot spots’ on your food, rotate the camp oven every 10-15 minutes while cooking.
- Visit BBQ lighting tips for our recommended method for lighting your Cobb Cooker with Heat Beads® briquettes.
Ready to have a go? Try this Camp Oven Scones BBQ Recipe.