How to light a spit roast
Learn how to light a spit roast with Heat Beads® BBQ Briquettes
Share this tip
Wondering how to light a spit roast?
- A battery or electric operated rotisserie will give excellent results with joints of beef and lamb, pork, chicken and ducks on a spit. Watch the video above to see how to light your spit.
- Ensure the spit is inserted centrally through the joint or bird, otherwise the strain on the motor will eventually cause it to stop, or it will turn unevenly and the food will therefore cook unevenly.
- It is vital that the fire is hot enough; a 2-2.5 kg roast will require about 2.5kg of Heat Beads® BBQ Briquettes for perfect cooking. An even layer of briquettes about two high is ideal for under the meat.
- The easiest way to get your Heat Beads® BBQ Briquettes lit and ready to cook on is using a BBQ Starter. Simply fill the BBQ Starter with briquettes, place 3 firelighters on the bottom of your spit and light them, then put the BBQ Starter directly over the firelighters. Your briquettes will be ready to cook on once they are covered in a light ash, after approx. 30 minutes.
- A beef or lamb spit roast may be left pink, however a meat thermometer is the safest way of ensuring that large pieces of meat and poultry are sufficiently cooked. Vegetables can be cooked on a grid underneath the meat towards the end of the cooking time.