Balinese Fish Pepes (Fish in Banana Leaves) BBQ Recipe
Celebrity chef, author & nutritionist, Janella Purcell, cooks a gluten free, healthy & tasty Balinese Fish Pepes (Fish in Banana Leaves) BBQ recipe over Heat Beads® BBQ Briquettes on highly rated TV show Good Chef Bad Chef.
- 2 pink eshallots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 long red chilli, sliced
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2cm piece galangal, grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon turmeric ground or fresh and grated, sliced
- 1 tablespoon macadamias, raw
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 x 150g fillet of flathead, mahi mahi or mackarel
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 8 bay leaves
- banana leaves
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon coconut vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coconut palm sugar
- 1 long red chili, finely sliced
- ½ cup each of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 mangoes
Cut your fish into small pieces about 5cm x 2cm. Set aside.
In a mortar and pestle (or processor), pound together all the ingredients apart from the tomato and fish. Get it to a smooth paste, then add the fish, tomato pieces and oil. Stir to combine.
Cut your banana leaf into 15cm square pieces. Place a bay leaf on the bottom of each piece of banana leaf then a couple of pieces of fish. Wrap them by folding down the top and tucking in the sides. Secure with a toothpick.
Place on the barbie and cook for about 5 minutes.
Keeping the skin on, slice the cheeks and sides off the mango. Place flesh side down on the BBQ sprayed with rice bran oil until golden.
Allow to cool slightly, then carefully remove the flesh from the skin. Cut into a big dice, place in a bowl then add the rest of the salsa ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning as you like.