It’s an Oldie but a Goodie!
Recently during a clean out, one of our team members came across the 1970’s cook book “Barbecue Cooking” by Babette Hayes.
We thought you might like to try this recipe for Spicy Chicken.
Spit Roasted Spicy Chicken
*2 medium-sized chickens
*1/2 cup finely chopped onion
*1/3 cup finely chopped celery
*1/3 cup finely chopped parsley
*1/2 cup finely chopped orange, with peel
*Salt and pepper to taste
* Wash and dry chickens, salt them inside.
* Mix onion, celery, parsley and orange and season to taste.
* Stuff the birds with this mixture and security openings with metal skewers.
* Thread birds on to spit, making sure they are evenly balanced.
* Roast over medium coals for 1.5hours, basting for the last 20 minutes of cooking with the following sauce.
*1/4 cup lemon juice
*1/4 cup orange juice
*2/3 cup red-currant jelly
*1 teaspoon hot mustard
*1 tablespoon minced green ginger or 1 teaspoon dry ginger
*1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or chilli powder
* Place all ingredients in a small enamel saucepan; heat gently until red-currant jelly has melted and sauce is smooth.
* Dip a brush in the sauce and baste chickens frequently.
* Serve any leftover sauce separately.